Print Page | Close Window

New Theatre company- no building.

Printed From: Community Theater Green Room
Category: Archives
Forum Name: Closed Topics
Forum Discription: Uncategorized posts from the previous version of our discussion board. For browsing and searching.
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=560
Printed Date: 10/18/24 at 1:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Theatre company- no building.
Posted By: Guests
Subject: New Theatre company- no building.
Date Posted: 7/17/03 at 4:58pm
Hi!
I, along with a small group of people, have started a new community theatre. We do not have a building so, we are renting a place to do it. We have chozen to do "Oz" with a cast of 3 and 1 set. How can we make it look really nice while, being very simple?What can we use for a spotlight?
I don't know how it is going to work out in our community. We have had people who said they wanted to help, even people who were cast, only to take a script from us and disappear and, not answer us when we try to contact them. One of our cast members never comes to rehearsal and, won't tell us why or, let us know anything and, she has a script. I am going to take her role. This is why it is important that we do a great job and, the show looks well so, everyone will know we are serious and, doing this no matter what.
Anyways, thanks in advance...

Replies:
Date Posted: 7/21/03 at 2:15pm
Melanie, you're a very brave woman. I commend you on your spunk. When we first started, we used light bulbs inside coffee cans for stage lights and had no spotlights at all for the first few shows. I think audiences (where no community theatre has existed) are pretty forgiving of the technical stuff as long as the show is well done. And many new-comers to theatre don't have any idea what kind of personal commitment is required to put on a play. Those are the ones that usually flake out when the pressure is on. Hang in there. Break a leg!!

Date Posted: 7/22/03 at 3:14pm
Let's see now: Problem No. 1: Members of the cast are abandoning ship! I don't know anything about you and your group, but I know from experience that newly formed groups tend to substitute theatrical experience and stage training by ego and attitude -- something that drives away many people. On the other hand, some actors prefer to work with an established group in an established venue. Stick with the ones that are willing to take the chance, or don't mind the attitude.
No. 2 Lighting: A slide projector works wonders as a spotlight or follow spot in a small place. As an added benefit, you can project all kinds of shapes and colors if you know how to bind colored cellophane in slide mounts. No photographic process is necessary. Get a box of slide mounts, preferably glass. You can sandwich between the two thin pieces of glass some colored gel. Use black mylar adhesive tape to create shapes directly onto the slide. Your photo store (not the drugstore, but a legitimate photo supply store if there is one in your area) should be able to provide you with the few simple materials necessary.
No. 3: A successful theater company I know uses regular security lights, those rectangular yard lights that go for about 5 bucks apiece, for lighting. You can use black aluminum foil -- OK, don't panic, you can also use regular aluminum foil, preferably heavy duty -- to form a hood around the fixture that "shapes the light." Lighting gels held onto the lighting fixture with wooden (plastic ones melt!) clothes pins give color to the light. Gels can be purchased through any theatrical supply house. Look up www.rosebrand.com.
A wooden box with a few home dimmers (about $4 apiece) can be used as your dimmer setup. You may need to split the dimmers and plug them into separate circuits if there's isn't enough juice for all the lights from one outlet.
I hope this helps. Break a leg!

Date Posted: 7/24/03 at 2:33pm
Thanks guys for the suggestions!
As for the attitude part, we don't have one. We have a small group and, I am the only one with training but, I am very understanding and, the others tell me that I am too nice to the cast member who doesn't show up. Actually, she is the one who got an attitude with me. She has a superiority complex, which is very funny and, she thought she could do what she wanted to and, still have the role. She still hasn't come to reheasals (and kept the script) so, I am doing that role.
It's going to work. Thanks again!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info