Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4474
Printed Date: 10/18/24 at 11:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Keeping Members Involved
Posted By: MLT.
Subject: Keeping Members Involved
Date Posted: 2/14/10 at 11:33am

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to retain interest from members? We have a membership of about 100 - with about half of that heavily involved/committed in at least most of our four shows a season. WHERE IS THE OTHER HALF? i know a lot are actors that only wish to be on stage and go from theatre to theatre because all they are interested in is performance. BUT they don't even come out to the shows that they are not in!!

We send out a monthly membership newsletter, all our shows are staged at the same time every-year, we have general meeting every-month which we send out the minutes for - so there really is no excuse for them not 'knowing' when our shows are!

We also participate regularly in fairs, parades, festivals etc. so all we really ask is one afternoon - once in a while - and still - we NEVER see them come out!

I was thinking of giving a 'talk' after the read-through for every show to explain the importance of continued participation.

Any other ideas? What has worked for your company? Is it ALWAYS going to be the some people doing all the work?

Replies:
Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 2/14/10 at 1:14pm
I've noticed that people stay involved out of 1.) a sense of community and also 2.) a feeling of recognition. 

Perhaps you can have a dinner or sneek opening showing for 'special folks' complete with awards presentation.  Also consider a review committee for each show.  Obstensively this is for quality control, but can also be used to strengthen the bonds among those that you value--of course the review committee can work against those bonds, so the questions the reviewers answer should  be carefully biased toward praise of others and constructive comments--not toward tearing down performers and artists.  Then you use the reviews to partially rank nominees for awards.  You can publicize award results for the news value and to get the people further attached to your theater.

Also consider sending a survey to the half not involved  (or call them) and specifically ask what would it take to get them more involved--you may find some surprising answers.  Perhaps one person is monopolizing an organizational role and driving them away.  Or perhaps they don't feel welcome.  Or maybe they just don't know what's going on through lost newsletters, etc.. 

One organization that I worked with had a dinner theater opening night (wine served at no additional charge in a dry county!) that had a waiting list to attend.  People talked up the atmosphere and the plays.

In contrast, another local group was known as very clubby.  People felt they didn't have a chance to get involved.  When the group that controlled the theatre eventually aged out a bit, the theater struggled for everything--until a family (that most in the community didn't like) virtually took it over.  Again only a few people did everything.  Tragedy struck the family and they couldn't run the theater and again it struggled.  I think the real fault in the history of this group was present from the beginning.  They weren't open and they didn't have an identity beyond whoever was currently running it.  THe theater must have its own brand and nurture those involved in it.

-------------

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com
1-800-359-2964

The theater scrim people

Posted By: Spectrum
Date Posted: 2/14/10 at 6:30pm
When it comes to VOLUNTEER work, there are two different animals.  There are the dedicated folks who value the CAUSE and participate at every opportunity, giving far more than they probably should in terms of time away from home and family, and/or even finances.  Then there are the folks who are in it only for themselves.  If they don't get SOMETHING personally from the experience, they won't do it.  I've often talked about the "doughnut eater set builder," usually (but not always) an actor, who will show up at the theatre on a Saturday morning, ready to help build the set... Right after he stands around chatting with various people and eating a doughnut or two, but OH DARN, he's got to leave and meet someone concerning a prior appointment.  Why go through the motions?  Because NOW he got a couple of doughnuts for breakfast, AND a little social time with his friends or the director, AND he got his name in the program for helping build the sets.  They are also the type of people who if you ever do get them to work, they do so with the attitude "I don't have to be concerned about how well I do this.  You're not paying me, I'm volunteering my time."  If it sounds like I have no patience for this type of animal, you're right.  Progress goes much smoother without them.  To the 50 or so on your mailing list who don't respond, consider them people on your mailing list and nothing more.  Sometimes that's really a good thing.

-------------
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 2/14/10 at 8:05pm
This universaly generic with all ameatre groups & frankly I think you are pushing 'it' up hill witrh your nose!
Every ameatre group has this problem, possibly more so in todays world.
It used to be about 10% of luvvies [warm props] would extract the didgit. But now it is more like 0.01% who will actualy do something beyond being only performing gypsies & not prepared to get off thier bronzes!
Mind you ! agree with Spectrum on most luvvies being as useless as boobs on a bull & only there for thier own apearance sake.
On the other hand as posted by Vicki I agree you might need to step back & take a look at the group it's self. Ask the question is it a purple circle? Take note & do the things that can start breaking down any barriers.
Take on an 'Albion' [all be one] attitude to be able to ear the lights & eye the sounds.

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: MLT.
Date Posted: 2/15/10 at 10:47am
Originally posted by vickifrank

Also consider a review committee for each show.  Obstensively this is for quality control, but can also be used to strengthen the bonds among those that you value--of course the review committee can work against those bonds, so the questions the reviewers answer should  be carefully biased toward praise of others and constructive comments--not toward tearing down performers and artists.  Then you use the reviews to partially rank nominees for awards.  You can publicize award results for the news value and to get the people further attached to your theater.

I LOVE this idea! Is this something that your company participates in? Does it work well? Would you mind providing me with more details? If we had a 'mini'festival' every season - perhaps the actors from all our shows would at least come out to check out the competition!

Thanks every one!

Posted By: vickifrank
Date Posted: 2/15/10 at 2:26pm

Sorry, its a new idea....so no glowing track record to report.  I do think that it has merit, because I know from some marketing work I've done with not for profits (some arts based some humanitarian), that involvement of any kind increases affilliation, and feedback from stakeholders is never wrong.   I'd like to hear back how it goes for you.

Its funny because everyone in the 'raise money for charity' world misses that the key driver in any case is a feeling of affiliation to the cause.  They want to send out envelopes and count the money....and in the process miss out on the human side of things: people want to care for what they donate to.  The lesson is the same when people donate time and talent.

-------------

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com
1-800-359-2964

The theater scrim people

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info