Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3638
Printed Date: 10/18/24 at 1:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: children's theater
Posted By: mattia
Subject: children's theater
Date Posted: 12/05/08 at 4:52am
Hi- I can really use some help.  I am starting a children's theater group (from grades K to 8)  in my church.  I really feel that I should have a listing of guidelines or rules for the children to follow that we can hand out to the parents at the first rehearsal.  It would be a parent information sheet about what we except from the kids as far as behavior, conficts with rehearsals, parents picking the children up on time, toys, food, etc.  I'm at a loss of where I can even start.  If anyone has a template or rules for their own children's theater, please send it to me.  I will not copy your theater's rules, I just need to get an idea of all the ground I should cover and make parents aware of.   Thanks.....OuchOuch

Replies:
Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 12/05/08 at 7:54am
Here is the Code of Conduct I use with my children's theatre.  We review it with parents/actors at the first rehearsal and it's signed by both.  I hope you find it useful. 

Just a note ... You may want to reconsider the lower age limit of your group, or break it into two groups.  In my experience, the younger set is too undisciplined to work for longer periods of time as the older kids would be.  I've even had them fall asleep during rehearsals.  LOL  :o)

To ensure a fun and successful production for everyone involved, I agree to abide by the following Code of Conduct:

Ÿ I understand that, as a member of this cast, I represent the {insert theatre name} and will conduct myself in an appropriate manner at all times.

Ÿ I understand  that the use of drugs or alcohol will not be tolerated.

Ÿ I will treat all theatre actors, volunteers, and staff with respect.

Ÿ I will bring my script and a pencil to every rehearsal.  I understand that I must mark my script with stage directions given by the director.

Ÿ The director has the ultimate authority in and for this production.  I will make every effort to respect this and follow directions given.

Ÿ If I miss three rehearsals I may be replaced.

Ÿ I am to bring a healthy snack and a bottle of water to rehearsals.  (No gum!)  I will clean up any messes that I make.  Except for water, I know that I am not to have food or drink in dressing rooms or backstage.

Ÿ I am to wear comfortable clothes and shoes.  (No flip flops or Crocs!)

Ÿ My hair is to be pulled back and out of my face.

Ÿ All rehearsals are closed and therefore I will not invite guests to a rehearsal unless I have cleared it with the director in advance.

Ÿ I will respect costumes and props.  I will not abuse them.  I will care for them as directed, and will put them exactly where told when I am finished.   I will report any problems with them immediately to the director.

Ÿ I understand the term OFF BOOK and will be off book as is directed on the rehearsal schedule.

Ÿ This is an ensemble piece.  No one is the star.  I will strive to promote camaraderie in the cast.  I will not attempt to upstage anyone or draw undue attention to myself.

Ÿ I will turn off, and refrain from using, cellular phones, iPods, or other such devices during rehearsals.  I will wait to check messages and place calls until after rehearsals so as not to be a distraction to others.

Ÿ Causing distractions will not be tolerated.

Ÿ I am to provide my own approved make-up kit.

Ÿ I will provide any necessary elements of my costumes.  This includes, but is not limited to shoes and underpinnings.

Ÿ I will be here for all tech rehearsals, with no exceptions.  I will make arrangements and cancel other plans to be here for all tech rehearsals.

Ÿ I will participate in strike following the final performance.

Ÿ I must strive to enjoy myself and this experience.

If I fail to meet these expectations, I understand that a meeting will be held between me, my parents, and the director to determine if I should be dismissed from the production.

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: mattia
Date Posted: 12/08/08 at 12:54am
thanks so much.  That was so-o-o helpful!!!!

Posted By: Pamw
Date Posted: 12/31/08 at 4:05pm
perfect!  I have been wanting to set up new guidelines for my students' contracts and this fits the bill. Thank you!!!Clap

-------------
Pam

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info