Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3340
Printed Date: 10/18/24 at 7:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Allow me to introduce myself
Posted By: theatre junkie
Subject: Allow me to introduce myself
Date Posted: 8/08/08 at 10:37am
Hello, one and all.  I have been lurking (reading, having opinions, not posting) at this sight for a while now.  I have been happily sucked into the all consuming vortex that is community theatre.  I have enjoyed reading all of the stories and insights that you all share on this sight.   It seems to me that it was a series of strange and twisted events that brought me to where I am today in the theatre.  I was just wondering, did most of you make a conscious decision to have theatre take over your life or did it just seem to happen?  I would love to hear your stories.

I am, happily,

Theatre Junkie

Replies:
Posted By: spikesgirl
Date Posted: 8/08/08 at 1:36pm
For me, it just happened.  I started as a junior in high school )when a friend asks if you're doing anything after school, say no.  I'd have so much more free time now) back in the 70'sand never really felt the need to leave.  While I've worked at other theaters, there is still the sameness no matter where you go and I have found theater folks to be warm, loving, sometimes highly compex individuals, but neither then less wonderful people to hang out with.

would I do the last 32 years over?  Not really, except for possibly avoiding the broken back in the scene shop, but I'm still here and have no plans to go anywhere else.

Charlie

Posted By: KEB54
Date Posted: 8/08/08 at 4:43pm
When I was back in high school (circa 1970) the football team's running back coach was also the theatre director.  As I was warming the bench, he told me I was bound to have better success in the later than the former.

He was right.  :)

-------------
KEB

Posted By: JoeMc
Date Posted: 8/09/08 at 1:49am
It started for me when I missed my first curtain call cue, which allegedly happened, just before I was born near the stage door. So I ensured that I have never missed one ever since - at least that I'm prepared to own up to! 
I'm sure you must have read or at least tripped over the drivel Gaafa has posted, about my previous life 'n tother utter rubbish.
Although I almost did miss my second cue, when I directed Man Of La Mancha. Operating the Limes, because the followspot operator didn't front up. I had my first stroke at the start of the  'Impossible Dream'. Crawled down from the Bio box & went outside the theatre. After a dose of caffeine & nicotine. I recovered enough to return to rescue the spots beam, which was in the process of committing suicide & falling into the audience. Managing to hold & dowse it on cue. which was 3 heart beats after the song, just before the applause & to milk their appreciation.
Since then the count is at 5 stokes & I'm now some what n'valid! when I get too stroppy working in theatre, my son just says "And at the next stoke?', which cues me pull my head in!
As I'm retired from being a Sparky in Pro t'eatre these days, I spend more time doing ameatre, being busier now, then when I got paid for doing it. But as I'm restricted at home with caffeine & only allowed 5 cigarettes a day. Comeatre is a stable source of café & also the odd smoke or 3? So to that end, which won't be too long that long now - theatre is life!
{ I support the arts by smoking!}Wink

-------------
[western] Gondawandaland
"Hear the light & see the sound!
TOI TOI CHOOKAS
{may you always play to a full house!}

Posted By: Linda S
Date Posted: 8/09/08 at 10:21am

I was in the back row of the chorus when the director walked up to me, handed me a script and said, "Read this like you want the part. The supporting lead has broken her leg." I know it sounds like I am confusing real life with "42nd Street", but I swear that is how I got my first part. I played Maisie in the "Boyfriend". I can't sing or dance, but I had the time of my life.

Linda

Posted By: Stageref
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:33am
A relative of mine's then-wife went to an audition and just mentioned off-hand at a family dinner that there was always a shortage of guys. I got some kind of "wild hair" and went with her to call-backs. The rest is history!

-------------
http://www.stageref.com - Stageref.com
The new, free, on-line social experience of community theater productions and people

Posted By: sdiehl
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 12:07pm
After lamenting about a local theater and how much I wanted to be on stage, my husband said, "Go, they aren't going to call you!  They don't know you"  Sometimes I think he regrets that, especially when he is eating dinner out of a box or bag.

Posted By: pdavis69
Date Posted: 8/19/08 at 1:49pm
As with most boys in early high school, my mind was on one thing (ok I admit I was a pig, still not far off).  The object of my affections was the daughter of the theatre teacher.  In order to be with her I had to be in the shows.  My desires for the theatre have burned long after my flame for her went out. 
Did I forget to mention the bit about unisex dressing rooms?  OK, exit pig stage left.

-------------
Patrick L. Davis
Fort Findlay Playhouse

Posted By: stageman 2
Date Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:45pm
I never was afraid to speak in front of crowds and public speaking was the extent of my school stage time. I tried stand-up later and made a couple of dollars before realizing I couldn't stay up that late. After my wife and I moved back to her hometown, she wanted to get active in the CT again and took me along. I began doing everything that required a dialect. The lead techie and I became good friends and I acquired a bit of knowledge by osmosis. From there, I tried my hand at directing and found my niche. During this time, I had gotten nominated to the Board and headed production. 17 years later, I am presently presiding over the board and still directing plays. I love to direct my wife, who is an excellent actress. It allows me an 11 week stretch where she has to listen to me.

-------------
Les Liss
Fine Arts, County of Effingham
info@effinghamface.com
www.effinghamface.com

Always be yourself because the ones that matter don't care and the ones that care don't matter.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info