Forum Discription: For everything else
URL: http://www.communitytheater.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2118
Printed Date: 10/18/24 at 11:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cast Party
Posted By: TheaterRat
Subject: Cast Party
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 12:34pm
Just a quick question to help initiate the newby.

Who is expected to host the cast party for a High School production?

Replies:
Posted By: B-M-D
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 12:45pm

YOU....since you brought it up.  

Sorry, that was just too easy.   Hope someone posts a legitimate response to your inquirey.

-------------
BD

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

Posted By: TheaterRat
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:01pm
That was my concern. Our son is the lead and it seems to be the "norm" here for the parents of the lead to host the party.

It will be an honor to host this event, but I am just curious of what the accepted protocol is for these events.

Posted By: Sueshoo
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:29pm

When I was in HS (a bizzillion years ago) - the cast party was usually hosted by those who fit one or more of the following;

1. Big house with a pool
  2. House was close to the school
  3. The parents wanted to host a party.

Basically whoever volunteered first - no matter if it was the person playing the lead, chorus member or techie.

-------------
Susan
Life is not a Dress Rehearsal

Posted By: red diva
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 2:26pm

In my experience with HS productions, the cast parties are hosted by:

1.  the director

2.  one of the other teachers involved in the production

3.  the presenting class, usually in the school cafeteria or gym, using class funds

4.  at a local restaurant, with reservations made in advance, parents present, and each student paying his/her own way

5.  but usually by parents of one of the students, not necessarily the lead.

I always pray for a parent to volunteer (they usually do, thank God!) so that choice #1 doesn't come into play! 

-------------
"I've worked long and hard to earn the right to be called Diva!"

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 2:55pm

During the warm months, any home with a yard and pool is a big hit. We did Grease in May, and I still am finding shirts, towels, shoes, you name it. During the colder months you need someone with a big house. Anyone in the cast, or crew, that is willing (and has permission) can host it. Once I have a volunteer, I doubt check with their parents to make sure they are on the same page, and if they are going to supply the snacks, food and pop, or order pizza or subs, etc. Determine whether the kids need to pay to eat, how much $, how long can they stay, etc. I need to hear back from the parent  before it is announced!  Then I post a sign up sheet with all the info, so they will know how many to expect. It is a huge undertaking!

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: eveharrington
Date Posted: 11/10/06 at 4:30pm
Long long ago when I was in H.S., each night after the production we went to a different restaurant and everyone paid their own way, then after the last show we would have a party. Usually at one of the leads houses, although the leads were often the ones with huge rec. rooms that lived close to the school so maybe that had something to do with it. If you take the school out of the equation we usually say whos having the cast party and the first person to accidentally make a noise wins!

-------------
"If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights."

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:40pm

I'm usually too overwhelmed to care much about the cast party at the end of the run.  I usually list on the rehearsal/performance schedule.  We talk about it as we close in on tech week.  Either a parent volunteers the house/whole party, we have it in the rehearsal hall, or we go to Denny's at the conclusion of the performance.

Pay - drama's budget is always in an iron lung, so if the kids want a party, they gotta pay.  We usually do something cheap like pizza and have the kids pot-luck the plates, cups, soda, starters/chips, and dessert.  We generally charge $5 to cover pizza.

If we go to Denny's, I get a menu ahead of time and tell them to bring enough money to cover what they want to eat + 30% for tax and tip.  I also bring a lot of ones for giving out change (we have them do 1 ticket for every 4 people--a little easier than 1 ticket for 30).

-------------

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 11/13/06 at 10:37pm

The kids I'm working with now have never memorized a line in their lives, let alone even heard of a cast party, so I'm not mentioning it.

However, when I was in HS doing theatre I would always plan a trip to the local Pizza Hut (speaking with management in advance).  It was "buy your own", but we always sang for our drinks ... soda is cheap.

In college, it was usually whoever had a big house out in the country and wanted to have the party .... oh, that would have been me, too! 

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: suzecue1
Date Posted: 11/14/06 at 9:05am

Nanette - you may be missing out on a wonderful opportunity here.  The last time I did BCPE - I called the local movie theatre and got a PRIVATE morning showing of whatever kid's Christmas show is there. This year you have "The Escape Clause". The theatre gave us a break on the price, which included popcorn and a small pop, the kids were encouraged to bring a friend, parents and siblings.  Everyone LOVED it, several years later they still bring it up.  WIN-WIN - not much work for you and it leaves a lasting final FUN memory of their time together.  It makes them want to come back and do more that is if you want them back  LOL

-------------
Sue
So many hats.....so few heads!

Posted By: Nanette
Date Posted: 11/14/06 at 10:17am
What a nifty idea.  The movie theatre is in the next town (12 miles), but if we carpool, it might not be that bad.  Thanks for the idea!  :o)

-------------
In a world of margarine, be butter!

Posted By: Aimee
Date Posted: 11/15/06 at 9:22pm
A bit late on the reply, but at the high school I work at usually one of the Seniors hosts it, not always, but that seems to be the norm. I guess it is whoever steps up and says they'd host it.

-------------
Aimee

Posted By: whitebat
Date Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:55am
I was in two HS shows in HS, and honestly don't remember going to a cast party.  They generally sell cookies during intermission, thus providing funds for said party.  Actually, we did go to an amusement park, but later, not right after the show.  That was cast from both shows.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info